Named pipes on NFS file system?

Per Foreby perf at efd.lth.se
Thu Aug 3 00:34:44 AEST 1989

Running Ultrix 3.0 on Mvax II and VS2000.

Named pipes doesn`t work on NFS file systems.

$ mknod nfs_pipe p
$ file nfs_pipe
nfs_pipe:       character special (255/255)
$ mknod /tmp/ufs_pipe p
$ file /tmp/ufs_pipe
/tmp/ufs_pipe:  port (named pipe
$ rsh sun_which_also_nfs_mounts file nfs_pipe
tmp/nfs_pipe:   fifo
$ echo > nfs_pipe
nfs_pipe: No such device or address
$

* I can make a named pipe on a local file system.
* If I make it on a nfs mounted system, the kernel thinks that it is a
  char special file (255,255).
* On another host (sun) I can use the pipe that I made from Ultrix.

Does anyone know about this? Fixed in Ultrix 3.1? Some undocumented
(or hard to find) option in the kernel?
--
Per Foreby
System manager at EFD, Lund Institute of Technology (Lund University)