dump and the tk50

Arthur B. Smith art at dinorah.wustl.edu
Tue Dec 5 06:40:29 AEST 1989

In article <10005 at june.cs.washington.edu>, richk at cs.washington.edu (Richard Korry) writes:
> In article <82 at e2big.dec.com> zemon at e2big.dec.com (Art Zemon    SwsE/ACES) writes:
> >Try making your life much easier.  Type "/etc/dump 9u {filesystem}"
> >and be done with it.  Dump will use an ioctl to determine the
> >density and type of tape.
>
> In the interest of making my life easier I tried this and got:
>   [... Summary of wrong responses omittedi ...]
> 131Mb unformatted. If the answer is "dump is brain dead, ignore it." fine
> with me, I just don't want to run off the end of the tape or not use half
> the tape 'cause dump don't know whats what.

Don't sweat it.  Dump (at least as provided with Ultrix 2.2 through 3.1)
doesn't give a hoot about the predicted number of tapes.  I never
did set it, and always just remembered that one tape was about
1 1/2 nominal tapes. I would regularly get estimates of 1.3 tapes
(or so) and have it all fit on one tape.

    art smith    (art at dinorah.wustl.edu  or  ...!uunet!wucs1!dinorah!art)

Usual disclaimers apply