DSIN access (was Re: Electronic SPR submission)

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Wed Dec 13 16:57:09 AEST 1989

In article <3275.2584b4f3 at fps.mcw.edu> brodie at fps.mcw.edu writes:
> In article <3434 at ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, steved at longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) writes:
>
> > And there are some other interesting things on DSIN, including lots of
> > descriptions and solutions for various sofware and hardware problems
> > encountered by other customers.  For the experienced sysadmin, there
> > is little of interest.  For the newcomer, it's chock full of little
> > bits of information that can make one's job easier.
>
> I disagree!   Although DSIN has a lot of introductory "how to" articles,
> it is also "chock full" of problem notices, product release notes, and
> many, many programming examples of stuff that is very handy.  A common
> example is a "how to" do certain references to vms system services from
> many languages.  Even the "experienced" sysadmin-type needs a good
> example here and there.

I disagree!!!  As far as Ultrix is concerned, DSIN is almost as useless
as the "Ultrix System Dispatch", which as we all know is slightly less
than zero.

The Ultrix group(s) simply do not seem putting any effort into maintain
in the Ultrix area of the DSIN data base.  Yes, occasional useful articles
show up and even tutorials, but that's about it.  None of the problems
that I've submitted to the Support center have ever shown up as known
problems and they don't even bother to post notices of available patches
or release announcements.

In addition, since retrieval is limited to keyword oriented searches,
it is almost immpossible to find either problem descriptions or tutorials
unless you happen to log in periodically and try your 10 best keywords.

Now perhaps the VMS section is better organized, but in my experience
the only thing the Ultrix section is good for is electronic problem/SPR
submission.  Maybe things will improved, but at present the whole thing
could be replaced by a user friendly BBS (or usenet) and the world would
be a much better place.

** end of ranting and raving **

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net