DSIN access (was Re: Electronic SPR submission)

brodie at fps.mcw.edu brodie at fps.mcw.edu
Wed Dec 13 00:21:07 AEST 1989

In article <3434 at ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, steved at longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) writes:

[electronic SPR stuff deleted]

> And there are some other interesting things on DSIN, including lots of
> descriptions and solutions for various sofware and hardware problems
> encountered by other customers.  For the experienced sysadmin, there
> is little of interest.  For the newcomer, it's chock full of little
> bits of information that can make one's job easier.

I disagree!   Although DSIN has a lot of introductory "how to" articles,
it is also "chock full" of problem notices, product release notes, and
many, many programming examples of stuff that is very handy.  A common
example is a "how to" do certain references to vms system services from
many languages.  Even the "experienced" sysadmin-type needs a good
example here and there.

On a side note, at DECUS I was introduced to "INCA".  It's a layered product
that will provide you with the ability to log any vax SOFTWARE call via
local vms mail!   (works as a detached process that then dials TSC, and
downloads your message directly into the call queue!)

one NEAT side effect is that with this product, you also gain FULL access
to the DSIN database, using a MUCH better search mechanism, and it's all done
locally on YOUR system.    DEC is also planning on expanding their DSIN
database FOUR-fold.

This isn't simply a "rumor", I actually saw the product being demonstrated
at DECUS.  A fellow from colorado TSC showed it to about a dozen of us as
sort of a hi-tech "preview" of things to come......

Kent C. Brodie - Systems Manager		brodie at mcw.edu
Medical College of Wisconsin			+1 414 778 4500

"Gee, I hope these are the right coordinates..."  -Chief O'Brian; STTNG