Meaning of aie / aio / bvpssp in config file?

Brain in Neutral bin at primate.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 27 06:30:35 AEST 1989

I'm upgrading a VAX to Ultrix 3.1 (from 1.2, no less) and discover
that the config file format has changed somewhat.  Most of it seems
clear enough from the configuration file maintenance guide and the man(4)
pages, but not everything.  Specifically, I find these two entries confusing:

For a tu81 tape drive, the entry seems to be something like this:

controller	klesib0 at vaxbi0 node 0
controller	uq0 at klesib0		vector uqintr
tape		tms0 at uq0 drive 0
controller	aie0 at vaxbi? node?
controller	bvpssp0 at aie0		vector bvpsspintr
tape		tms0 at bvpssp0 drive 0

For ra disk drives, the entry seems to be something like this:

controller	kdb0 at vaxbi0 node?
controller	uq0 at kdb0		vector uqintr
disk		ra0 at uq0 drive 0
disk		ra1 at uq0 drive 1
controller	aio1 at vaxbi? node?
controller	bvpssp0 at aio1		vector bvpsspintr
disk		ra0 at bvpssp0 drive 0

(Yes, I know that the same uq number can't be used for both.)

What are the aie, aio and bvpssp things?  I don't seen any explanation
of these in the documentation.  Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Are those parts of the entries >even necessary<?

Paul DuBois
dubois at primate.wisc.edu