quotas

Jaye Mathisen icsu6000 at caesar
Fri Dec 8 10:12:55 AEST 1989

In article <7366 at hubcap.clemson.edu> hubcap at hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Marshall) writes:
>On our machine (8810, Ultrix 3.0) the quota mechanism just stops working
>every so often, sometimes every other day, sometimes every other week, it
>just seems to stop at arbitrary times. You can imagine the problems this
>causes... users go over their quotas while the quota enforcer is dead, and
>then when I realize it and turn it back on, they get nailed with no warning.

Yeah, I had a lot of problems with quotas under Ultrix 3.0  We had 4 diskless
nodes off of a server, and with quotas enabled on the server, machines were
dropping like flies.  We sent crash dumps to dec (5 on one TK50 once),
and never saw a result.  Undefined Quotas in the server config file, rebuilt
the kernel, and haven't had a speck of trouble since.

I hope this is fixed in 3.1.

Someday, DEC is going to release a version of Ultrix that's solid.  2.3 was
getting there, then a big hassle to upgrade to 3.x.  Now I hear that 4.0 is
in the works...  will it ever end? :-)