Meaning of aie / aio / bvpssp in config file?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Wed Dec 27 14:58:42 AEST 1989

In article <1363 at uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin at primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:

> I'm upgrading a VAX to Ultrix 3.1 (from 1.2, no less) and discover
> that the config file format has changed somewhat.  Most of it seems
> clear enough from the configuration file maintenance guide and the man(4)
> pages, but not everything.  Specifically, I find these two entries confusing:
>
> (Yes, I know that the same uq number can't be used for both.)
>
> What are the aie, aio and bvpssp things?  I don't seen any explanation
> of these in the documentation.  Am I just looking in the wrong place?
>
> Are those parts of the entries >even necessary<?

1) you do understand that all those entries are for the multiplicity of
   system architectures that DEC supports?  If you do something like
   "man ra", the manual pages break down the entries as appropriate to
   each architecture.  I'd assume the hardcopy for section 4 of the manual
   is the same, though there's not much to tell you to look there.

2) About 98% of what worked in the 1.2 config file still works, though a
   few options have been added and one of two things deleted.  The only
   thing I remember getting blown out on was that the "args on xxxx" part
   of the "config" statement dissapeared.

3) I haven't the faintest idea what most of them wierd things are.  Some
   are imaginary and merely keep things structured the way that config and
   the auto-config code is set up, some reflect adapters appropriate to
   the various busses, non-busses and attempts at imcompatibilty...

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net