Zmodem upload problems

Jeffrey M White jeff at eniac.seas.upenn.edu
Sat Dec 23 04:11:00 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec21.200309.17636 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> garyf at mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) writes:
>In article <80 at ucunix.SAN.UC.EDU>, rainwatr at ucunix.san.uc.edu (Don
>Rainwater) writes:
>>
>> 	I have a VAX 8650 running Ultrix 3.0.  Terminal connections are
>> via DECservers.  My port is running at 19.2k, and my "terminal" is a Mac II.
>> The Mac is running ZTerm .85, and I have the rzsz package from 5/89
>> running on the Ultrix system.
>>
>> 	I'm able to download (sometimes very large) files from Ultrix
>> without any trouble, but uploads don't even get past the first byte.
>> The error I get is "ZRPOS=0".  I have the same problem trying to upload
>> from an IBM/PC-AT compatible running DSZ, so I think we can eliminate
>> the Mac from the list of suspects.
>>
>> 	Has anyone been able to successfully upload files to an Ultrix
>> (or other Unix) host?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Kermit is
>> just too slow.
>
>Yep, we have the same problem with our ultrix and our sun hosts using
>rzsz, again for uploads only.  I am taking the liberty of cross posting
>this response to comp.sources.bugs to attempt to get a dialog/fix going
>in that area.  I don't think anyone has complained (at least not very
>loudly) about this yet, and hopefully someone has a fix for the problem.

  Same problem here.  With a connection to a Unix host through an Annex
terminal server, xmodem-based file transfers (which include straight xmodem
and the MacXmodem derivatives) would be fine for transfer from the host to the
PC/Mac, but fail going the other way.  The exception is that file transfers
when dialing up (which is 1200 baud for me) do work fine in both directions.
I never got around to finding how fast a baud rate you could have before
it would start to fail again.  My suspicion is that xmodem doesn't like the
buffering (no matter how slight) that these terminal servers do.

						Jeff White
						University of Pennsylvania
						jeff at eniac.seas.upenn.edu