disk transfer error

Cathy Accettura cathy at larry.sal.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 5 07:25:28 AEST 1989

Last week I was doing a dump and I got this error

DUMP: (this should not happen) bread from /dev/rra1c [block 151984] :
      count = 6144, got -1

I am running Ultrix 3.0 and have a MicroVaxII.  The disk that is
causing me problems is a Fujitsui Eagle.

Is there anyway I can use badsect or bad144 to get around this problem
without format the disk.  I thought that badsect was my best bet but
I could not figure out how block and sector related to each other.

The uerf program does show something but no sector number
---- UNIT INFORMATION ----
UNIT CLASS			DSA DISK
UNIT TYPE			RA81
CONTROLLER NO.		      17.
UNIT NO.		      0.
ERROR SYNDROME			DISK TRANSFER ERROR

Should I give up and reformat or is there a way to write the bad sector
into a file.

cat
cathy at larry.sal.wisc.edu
Space Astronomy Lab-University of Wisconsin.