dump/restore -- should this work?

Leonard J. Peirce peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Tue Jan 31 06:30:37 AEST 1989

Well, I just installed 3.0 and discovered that either DEC didn't fix the
bug I reported or didn't understand what I was talking about.  Maybe I'm
dumb for doing this; you be the judge.

The problem is this:  I do our dumps using multiple dump files on multiple
tapes, with some dump files crossing tape boundaries.  A breakdown of the
tape and dump file boundaries would be:

|------------------tape 1------------------||---------tape 2---------||------

|---dump file 1---||---dump file 2---||---dump file 3---||---dump file 4---|

Dump doesn't complain about anything, asking for new tapes when it thinks
it needs one.

The problem shows up when I run restore.  It can get to anything in dump files
1 and 2, but if I try to get to anything in dump file 3 or beyond, I get
the message

	Wrong dump date
	    got: Tue Dec 27 11:18:14 1988
	    wanted: Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969

soon after I insert the second tape.

restore works just fine if I force a new tape to be inserted such that if
a dump file will require more than one tape, it starts at the beginning
of a tape.

Am I dumb for using dump the way I described above?  I've got my asbestos
thermal underwear on so you can flame me for being stupid if you feel like
it; just send them directly to me.  Anything constructive can be posted.
Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce at gw.wmich.edu
Academic Computer Center        Voice:     (616) 387-5469
Kalamazoo, MI  49008