More at DECsystem 5800's

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Fri Jul 28 23:15:53 AEST 1989

In article <2409 at itivax.iti.org> scs at itivax.iti.org (Steve C. Simmons) writes:
> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>
> >The 5800 systems are configured with a single BI bus driving a new
> >11 slot BI cage in the main cabinet, rather than the traditional pair
> >of 5 slot cages.  I wish the latter was available as an option, but
> >they do get the mega-mips 5800's prices at the 6200 levels, so I
> >should complain?
>
> Sure, complain.  :-)
>
> Actually the second bus is available as an option -- it was on our
> quote, so it durned well better be!

Well, you can get a bunch more of them, but the 2'nd one costs you
a BI expansion cabinet which you're unlikely to ever come close to
filling.

Ten or Eleven BI slots seems like about the right number, a server/
timeshareing system isn't often going to need more, assuming terminal
servers and high density disk subsystems.  I'd sure like to split up
the bus though, without having to double the CPU footprint...

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net