DLI/Ethernet interface questions

Jeff Michaud michaud at decvax.dec.com
Fri Jul 21 08:52:53 AEST 1989

In article <810 at uhnix2.uh.edu>, jh at allez.uh.edu (Jeff Hayward) writes:
> Some questions for anyone familiar with the DLI Ethernet interface
> provided with DECnet-Ultrix.

	Just so no one thinks they have to buy DECnet-ULTRIX (though it would be nice
	if they bought it anyways :-) to use DLI, you don't.  DLI is part of the
	base (ULTRIX) system.  The confusion may be because DLI is documented in
	our (DECnet-ULTRIX) doc set :-).

> How can I obtain the Ethernet address of a given interface?

	Open a socket to to the AF_UNIX or DLI domain and issue ioctl(SIOCRPHYSADDR).
	I'll post a sample program as a seperate followup.

> Is it possible to enable promiscuous-mode reception, and if so, how?

	Nope, not that I know of.

> Is there a better (software) interface available for Ultrix?

	If you do have DECnet-ULTRIX V3.0 you may want to install the DNUBASE030 (or DNPBASE030
	for RISC, ala DS3100 version) and then take a look in /usr/examples/dli.
--
|Jeff Michaud    michaud at decwrl.dec.com  michaud at decvax.dec.com|