Bug in /bin/csh: echo "`date`" in script

Brian V. Smith envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov
Thu Jul 13 02:39:40 AEST 1989

In article <49802 at csvax1.cs.tcd.ie>, epmcmanus at csvax1.cs.tcd.ie writes:
<
< There is a bug in the Ultrix 3.0 csh which was not present in Ultrix 2.2.
< I would guess that support for 8-bit characters is the reason for the change.
<
< The script:
< 	#!/bin/csh
< 	echo "`date`"
< causes character 0xFF to be output before each character of the date.  The
< same thing happens for other commands, and for:
< 	% csh -c 'echo "`date`"'
< but not for:
< 	% echo "`date`"

Yes, I reported the bug to comp.unix.ultrix in May.  Win Treese of Digital
replied that "it is a known bug, but didn't know when it would be fixed".

Maybe in 3.1?