Looking for Benchmarks Between VAXstation 3100 and SUN 3/80

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Thu Jul 20 05:32:57 AEST 1989

In article <1216 at gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM> davew at gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com (David C. White) writes:
>Does anyone have any hard data comparing the VAXstation 3100 (running
>Ultrix) against the SUN 3/80?  SUN is claiming the performance is the
>same as the VAXstation 3100 but I don't have a 3/80 to compare against
>our VAXstation.  If anyone has done any benchmarks between these two
>systems I would appreciate any data you may have gathered.

Here's some hard data, not what you want maybe, bue anyway:
I compared a large number of systems, including:
Microvax 3200 with the ninth edition unix. (this is more or less the same
					then the vaxstation 3100)
Sun 3/80 with Sun OS 4.0.3.

Let me only give you some cpu results as system calls and disk-related
stuff is too OS specific:

test		Sun 3/80	Microvax 3200
sieve		5.1		4.9
sine		10.1		6.0
loop		10.9		11.0

So I would say that they are a pretty close match, except for
floating point where the Microvax excells. (yes, the 3/80 was using the
fp chip).

Paul.