Bug in /bin/sh??

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Thu Jul 6 07:10:58 AEST 1989

 >...instead under Ultrix it reports an error message like:
 >
 >	/tmp/sh108410: cannot open
 >
 >I've tried this under SunOS 4.0 and it works as expected.  Is this a known
 >problem with Ultrix?

It sounds similar to another known problem with older versions of the
Bourne shell, in which the shell gets confused about the name of the
"here document" file (the thing between "<<" and the end-of-file
marker).  The known problem in question was fixed in some later version
of the Bourne shell (the S5R2 version, I think), and this problem may
have been fixed there as well.

SunOS has used an S5R2-or-later version of the Bourne shell as "/bin/sh"
since SunOS 3.0; presumably, Ultrix is still using the V7-vintage BSD
version as its "/bin/sh".  If you have a System V shell as "/bin/5sh" or
somesuch, you might try using that to run your script (using the "#!"
mechanism) instead (although putting something like "/bin/5sh" or
somesuch into the "#!" line means your script won't work on systems that
don't have a program with that pathname, so your script may work only on
Ultrix if that line is there).