Bug in /bin/sh??

Douglas B. Jones douglas at dekalb.UUCP
Wed Jul 12 05:12:02 AEST 1989

In article <400 at mipos3.intel.com> jbrayton at mipos2.intel.com (Jim Brayton) writes:
=The following appears to be a bug in /bin/sh under Ultrix 2.2 and 3.1 (the only
=Ultrix system's I have access to):
=The short shell program:
==================================
=#!/bin/sh
=bogus=`cat << END
=a
=END
=`
=/bin/echo $bogus
==================================
=should print an 'a' when run, instead under Ultrix it reports an error message like:
=	/tmp/sh108410: cannot open
=I've tried this under SunOS 4.0 and it works as expected.  Is this a known problem with
=Ultrix?
=	- jim brayton -
=Jim Brayton, Microprocessor Design, Intel Corp.
=UUCP: {decwrl,hplabs,oliveb}!intelca!mipos3!mipos2!jbrayton
=ARPA: jbrayton%mipos2.intel.com at relay.cs.net

One note about the above, you are useing the '/bin/sh' instead of '/bin/sh5'.
The SunOS 4.0 might be useing the 'sh' that conforms to the SYSTEM V. Where
the above above 'sh5' conforms to SYSTEM V Release 2 (according to the man
page here under ULTRIX 3.0). I have not look through the man page for
'/bin/sh', but I don't think it says that it is a 100% compatible to ATT sh.

I think the '/bin/sh' comes from BSD.

Hope this helps some.

These lines added

to take care

of the Pnews message about
more old text than new text

--
Doulas B. Jones					douglas at dekalb
Academic Computer Center		or	gatech!dekalb!douglas