getty wierdness on 11/750 Ultrix 2.2

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Mon Jul 24 13:47:44 AEST 1989

In article <55810 at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Ethan R Dicks <erd at cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> At SRC, we have a VAX-11/750 running double duty as a VMS machine by
> day and Ultrix by night.  The Ultrix personality is running 2.2 because
> that is what our customer that we are helping has.  (We do have 3.0, but
> not 3.1 yet).  On the console, everything is normal.  On any other port,
> the first character is sometimes lost on certain lines, almost always
> the second line in a batch of output...

> Is this a known problem?  I could not find any reference to this in the
> Ultrix system dispatch index.  Is this an SPR-able event, or could I
> have something set wrong.  I followed the manual explictly on how to
> set up the /etc/ttys file; the entry for the VT100 console is identical
> to the ones for the other ports.

If it really does this on the DMF32, then I don't know what would be wrong
unless you're testing useing a screwed up cable/terminal.

If it only happens on the Emulex lines, then there's a chance you need
either to upgrade the Emulex boards or apply a patch to the serial driver
to make it work.  Some of the 3'rd party boards are known not to emulate
some of the tricks that BSD derived Unix employs.

Check with Emulex.  If Chris Torek doesn't pop up with the real dope
here, drop a note into unix.wizards in a day or two and see what pops
up there...

I wouldn't expect too much help from DEC, and it's probably not SPR'able
unless it does it on the DEC interface under the current or current-1
release of Ultrix.

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net