Restricting logins to uucp on a specific line

R. Brad Kummer rbk at cbnewsk.ATT.COM
Sat Jun 24 03:43:52 AEST 1989

In article <1214 at bnlux0.bnl.gov> mms at bnlux0.UUCP (Morris Strongson) writes:

>    We are presently running Ultrix 2.0 on a Vax 11/780, and expect to go to
>3.0 shortly.  The need to restrict one incoming tty line to uucp logins only
>has arisen, and we do not know how to to that...

I don't know about Ultrix, but in SYSV you could set up a dial-up password
for the tty port.  This simply requires creating an /etc/dialups file which
contains the name(s) of tty ports declared to be "dialups," e.g.:

$ cat /etc/dialups
/dev/tty01

Next, you need to create an /etc/d_passwd file for the passwords.  The first
field of each line corresponds to the program run by login (determined from
the last field in /etc/passwd), i.e., uucico for a UUCP login and typically
/bin/sh (or NULL, which defaults to /bin/sh) for a "normal" login.  The
second field is the encrypted password, or NULL for no password.  Thus, the
following should accomplish what you want:

$ cat /etc/d_passwd
uucico::
:NP:

The first line creates no password for uucico, and the NP in the second
line effectively disables any other logins (a user trying to log in on
this port will be prompted with "Dialin password:" and any response will
produce a "Login incorrect" failure.

Incidentally, if you do want to create a valid dialin password for the line
(to allow "privileged" users to log in), you can use passwd to assign
the password to some user (perhaps temporarily) and then copy the
encrypted password from /etc/passwd.

Hope this helps.

	R. Brad Kummer	att!akguc!rbk
	AT&T Bell Laboratories,  Atlanta