QVSS (VR260) windows wedged in Black on Black in xterm

Chet Ramey chet at cwns5.INS.CWRU.Edu
Thu Jun 15 07:49:54 AEST 1989

In article <666 at physiol.su.oz> johnd at physiol.su.oz (John Dodson) writes:
>In article <12128 at grebyn.COM>, karl at grebyn.COM (Karl Nyberg) writes:

>> Trying to run an xterm from the shell within emacs gives me the following
>> error messages:
>>
>> 	X Toolkit Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "White"
>> 	X Toolkit Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "Black"

>No, it is not hardware.

That much is true.

>But, rebuilding your entire X-core to reinstall /usr/bin/X11 & /usr/lib/X11
>will fix the problem.

This is overkill.

This problem is caused by a corrupted rgb database (found by default in
/usr/lib/X11/rgb{.pag,.dir,.txt}).  The fix is to reinstall the database
from your sources (just do a `make install' in the rgb source directory).

Chet Ramey     Network Services Group, CWRU    chet@{cwjcc,pirate}.INS.CWRU.Edu

"The flagon with the dragon has the potion with the poison;
	the vessel with the pestle holds the brew that is true!"