Decserver Question

Matt Thomas thomas at mipsbx.nac.dec.com
Thu Jun 22 00:38:19 AEST 1989

> 	I want to make a GPX station running Ultrix 3.0 use a PS printer that
> has been configured off of a decserver.
> 	c)	Now I need to make a node under /dev for the new printer,
> 		however, I can not figure out how to create the node and give
> 		ultrix enough information about the LAT device and port number
> 		when I create the node. I have tried MAKEDEV and mknode, but I
> 		always get an errors from them. Besides, I do not understand
> 		where to include the LAT device address and port number if I am
> 		using these commands.

Has your kernel been build with lat support? Your config file should have the
following lines in it:

OPTIONS		LAT
psuedo-device	lat
psuedo-device	lta

To get MAKEDEV to make the lat ttys, do a 'MAKEDEV lta0'.  lpd will set the
DECserver's name and port from the ts and op entries in the printcap file.
You don't have to do anything to the tty expect lcp -h /dev/ttyXX.

Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas at decwrl.dec.com
DECnet-Ultrix Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas
Digital Equipment Corporation   Disclaimer: This message reflects my own
Littleton, MA                               warped views, etc.