Help for the new system manager

Donald J. Rainwater rainwatr at ucqais.uc.edu
Tue Jun 6 05:44:00 AEST 1989

	We have just installed Ultrix 3.0 on a VAX 8650.  We are now in the
process of getting things set up for our user community, and there are some
questions that need to be answered.

	First, is there a system-wide login/profile/whatever for CSH?  We've
found /etc/profile for SH, but no /etc/login (like on SysV?).  Surely some-
one out there has developed an alternative if there isn't already a system
login file.  Anyone have any suggestions?

	Second, is it possible to prompt the user for input from a csh
script?  (Something like 'read' in sh).  We need to be able to do this in
the aforementioned system-wide login script.

	Finally, we have a (potentially) large number of users.  Being a
university, our list of users is constantly changing.  Also, it's rather
difficult to assign usernames that are both unique and simple for the users.
We've come up with one or two ideas for this, but would like to know what
some other sites are using.  Our VMS systems use social security numbers,
along with a class code, but Unix won't allow that type of setup with only
eight characters.

	Thanks to anyone who can be of assistance.
--
Don Rainwater, University of Cincinnati Computer Center
rainwatr at ucbeh.san.uc.edu
rainwatr at ucbeh.bitnet
rainwatr at ucqais.uc.edu