Ultrix Security Problem

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at cs.AthabascaU.CA
Thu Jun 15 04:23:55 AEST 1989

In article <7091 at cbmvax.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>Ultrix 3.0 introduced a new, serious, security hole that allows any
>informed user to obtain access to root privileges by typing a single
>command line.
>
>Please contact DEC software support to obtain the workaround for this
>problem, as in most cases, I have no unambiguous way of distinguishing
>a concerned administrator from an inquisitive cracker.

Can you give us a bug number or something similar we can use to
reference this when calling DEC technical support? Trying to describe
a problem with a description like that usually results in spending
too many hours on the phone for my liking.--
Lyndon Nerenberg / Computing Services / Athabasca University
{alberta,decwrl,ncc}!atha!lyndon || lyndon at cs.AthabascaU.CA

 Trying to manage programmers is like trying to herd cats!