mail11-problem?

Keith Moore moore at CYGNUSX1.CS.UTK.EDU
Thu Jun 29 04:28:49 AEST 1989

In article <713 at tuvie> plank at tuvie (Friedrich Plank) writes:

>I have the need to send messages to a 'pmdf'-mailer on a VMS-machine via
>mail11 (DECNET). I'm running ULTRIX V3.0 and V2.2. In both versions I get
>the same error-message when I specify the following adress:
>
>	AUNIW::IN%"plank at egh780.una.at"
>where 'AUNIW' is a DECNET-node and 'IN%'should activate the 'pmdf'-mailer.
>The same syntax works fine from VMS.
>Has anybody had this problem? (... error parsing IN ..-see trace below)
>Exists there any docomentation for 'mail11' or 'mail11v3'?
>How must I specify the 'USER' for these mailers that they don't parse them?
>Thanks for help at this problem!
>Please send Mail to:
>
>	plank at tuvie.at
>
>Thanks,
>F.Plank

Yes, we've had the problem, also.  My solution: I rewrote the mail11
and mail11d programs.  My version of mail11 is smart about VMS-style
foreign protocol addresses; for example, it rewrites <proto%user at domain>
as <PROTO%"user at domain">.  It's also usable with vanilla sendmail, since it
doesn't speak the undocumented version of SMTP that DEC's version uses.
It runs on Suns as well as VAXen.  It generates reply addresses in a
manner similar to PMDF.

We've been using it locally for several months with no problems.

Send mail to one of the addresses below if you want a copy.

Keith Moore			Internet: moore at utkcs2.cs.utk.edu
University of Tenn. CS Dept.	BITNET: moore at utkvx
107 Ayres Hall, UT Campus	UT Decnet: utkcs2::moore
Knoxville Tennessee 37996-1301	Telephone: +1 615 974 0822
Keith Moore			Internet: moore at utkcs2.cs.utk.edu