using adb on /vmunix

Jeff Weaver weaverj at eecae.ee.msu.edu
Wed Mar 22 07:04:53 AEST 1989

I am using adb on a Ultrix2.2 kernel on a VAX 8600.  I'm trying to find
some data in the pty drivers (the clists to be exact) and I'm having
a problem getting through to the proper memory location.  The following
works on a Sun (3.5), but when I try to use adb on the VAX it doesn't
respond.

adb -k /vmunix /dev/mem
(I get the proper page translation info)
u$<u
(get the user area)  At this point I use u.u_ttyp (struct tty *)

However when I use "clist" or "tty" to try to track down the clist it
gives me garbage.  Do I have to set maps explicitly on the VAX and not
the Suns or is it something really stupid that I'm overlooking.  I've
racked my brains for about a week now and am getting nowhere, well at
least the sun one works -- I can see what I'm typing :-)

Jeff

weaverj at eecae.ee.msu.edu
...uunet!frith!weaverj