SLIP over a DECserver and LAT from ULTRIX

Montana State mtsu at blake.acs.washington.edu
Fri Mar 31 06:14:51 AEST 1989

In article <6425 at cbmvax.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <88360 at felix.UUCP> trier at diku.dk (Jens Trier Rasmussen) writes:
>> Has anyone out there tried to run SLIP (Serial Line IP) over a LAT
>> connection to an asyncron line sitting on a DECserver ? All this under
>> ULTRIX.
>It will probably work, though there seems to be some question about just
>what happens to the server when an Unix program issues a IOCTL to put
>the line in RAW mode.  Some people here are claiming that this does not
>disable control q/s flow control at the server.  This would be a pain,
>since flow control/8 bit mode (passall) on the Decserver is a session,
>rather than port parameter and would have to be set everytime you log into
>the server.

Couldn't you just set priv's on the DECServer, and then do a DEFINE PORT
FLOW DISABLED??  Followed with a SET PORT FLOW DISABLED??  Of course maybe
I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do.

Which leads me to another question...

Are the IOCTL()'s that allow you to make a connection to a remote LAT port
documented anywhere??  Obviously lpd uses them, but I don't see any
how-to's anywhere.

Jaye Mathisen
icsu6000 at caesar.cs.montana.edu