DECstation 3100 & SCSI info

G.Pavlov pavlov at hscfvax.UUCP
Wed Mar 22 05:00:22 AEST 1989

In article <85751 at felix.UUCP>, rsp at ok.DEC.COM (Ricky Palmer) writes:
  [ very good information re SCSI in the DECStation 3100; thanks. ]
>  And boy does this little box push the data around fast"!!!
>
> ---   Ricky Palmer	 Ultrix Advanced Development
> ---   Digital Equipment Corporation
> ---   Nashua, New Hampshire
> ---   ... One of the fathers of PMAX ...

  One thing that I noticed in playing with the DECStation is that it pushes
  data to/from disk much slower than our MIPS M/120-5 (the "mother" of the
  PMAX ???).  I have been told/read that DEC did not implement DMA.  Is this
  true, would this be the reason ?  More to the point, did DEC do anything re
  speeding up disk i/o in the new DECSystems ?

  thanks, greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny