Ultrix 2.3 and 4.3 BSD not binary compatible?

Ian! D. Allen [CGL] idallen at watcgl.UUCP
Sat Mar 18 05:01:16 AEST 1989

4.3bsd does not have the "getdirentries()" system call needed by
Ultrix to handle NFS file systems.  You can run 4.3 binaries on
Ultrix; but, they won't understand NFS directories.  (They will
understand simple files on NFS file systems, however.)  You can't run
Ultrix binaries on 4.3 unless you reverse-engineer the getdirentries()
system call and install it on 4.3.  One of our systems people did that
just to see if it could be done.  Seems to work.

Unfortunately, all our software effort migrates software from the 4.3bsd
machines for which we have source to the binary Ultrix machines, so we
never use Ultrix binaries on 4.3bsd.  We copy the 4.3 source and
recompile (relinking is often all that is needed) for Ultrix.
--
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) IDAllen at watcgl.UWaterloo.CA IDAllen at watcgl.Waterloo.edu
 Computer Graphics Lab    University of Waterloo    Ontario, Canada