Why is stty behaving differantly with Ultrix 3.0 ?

Gordon Vickers gordon at prls.UUCP
Wed Mar 29 06:37:59 AEST 1989

     Does anyone know why stty(1) may be behaving differantly in Ultrix 3.0 ?
   I normally use something like:
     stty 9600 >/dev/tty07
   to change selected parameters on a given port and this method has always
   worked until I installed Ultrix 3.0  .
      Changing port parameters now, seems to work only on login ports.
      I've retreived stty from Ultrix 2.0 but it seems ineffectual as well.
   From a privelaged account, I can :
     stty >/dev/tty07   # or tty{any non login port} and note the baud rate
                        # which I don't think is aways accurate anymore, then
     stty 9600 >/dev/tty07  # to try and change the baud rate. Then:
     stty >/dev/tty07       # and see that the baud rate did NOT change.

   I've used baud rate only as an example, ANY other valid parameter may be
  substituded.

   Can someone please explain why this is happening ?
   I use stty faily frequantly and in fact relie upon it so any help would
 be greatly appreciated.

 Thankyou,
Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370 (Sunnyvale,Ca); {mips|pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon