What Version of X in Ultrix 3.1

kris graham graham at fuel.dec.com
Sat Nov 11 14:29:33 AEST 1989

> What version of X is Ultrix supporting?

The UWS 2.1 release notes touts X11R3 compliance.

> In X.h I saw something that leads me to believe it is X11R0.

Wrong.

> How compatible is this version with X11R3?

You have to read the release notes for all the gory
details ;-)

> (I was trying to experiment with different apps, like xaquarium but
>  it croaked on my PC Xsight. Then I tried it directly on the Vaxstation
>  where it croaked with the same error message. What gives?)

What you are experiencing may well be a combination of problems.
You should have described the hardware and display/graphics type
of your workstation.

I will  make some guesses -  assuming it could be a monochrome, 4-plane,
or 8-plane system.

I took a look at the  xaquarium program.

The DECwindows window manager (dxwm)  won't allow  the mask bit name
"CWOverrideRedirect" to happen (ICCCM-related....long story).
Change that name to something like "CWEventMask" in xfish.c.  That should
make an 8-plane ULTRIX workstation running dxwm happy...so you can run
xaquarium.

For a 4-plane system,  change the first 8s in the XCreateImage calls to 4 .
This  parameter specifies the depth of the display.

A more  portable way though, is to make the code handle different displays of
different depths - use  XDefaultDepth to query for the depth of the display.

For a monochrone system, here are the diffs.  You will get get a black back-
ground, white bubbles and realistic fishes.

Here is a "diff -c" of the changes.

*** temp
--- xfish.c
***************