Help with process limitation under Ultrix

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Tue Nov 14 13:08:55 AEST 1989

In article <120 at cutmcvax.OZ> craig at cutmcvax.oz (Craig Farrell) writes:

> 	We are about to  convert our vax over to Ultrix (V3.1) and we require
> a way to limit the number of processes a user can fork off. Ideally we
> would like to do  a minimum of Kernel hacking, so... does someone out there
> have, or know of, a system to limit a users processes for ultrix which we can
> get our hands on.

There is a configuration parameter that does this "maxuprc" - the only thing
is you don't want to set it too low, since it applies to all non-root user
id's and things get messed up in fairly disgusting ways when id's like daemon,
news, and uucp run out of processes, so I wouldn't recommend setting it lower
than 15 and considerably higher if your system is heavily loaded.

A clever person could probably patch things to change the test for whether
the limit applies from uid=0 to uid < n or gid < n, but I've never bothered,
since I run with maxuprc set to 48, and go track down and shoot offenders...

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net