WARNING! Ultrix 3.x changed return values!

Roger Southwick rogers@dadla.wr.tek.com rogers at amadeus.WR.TEK.COM
Tue Nov 28 13:19:36 AEST 1989

[Line eater fodder.... yum.... munch]

I just spent some time working on a problem that cropped
up because DEC (in their Ultimate wisdom) changed return values
on the ruserok() call (see rcmd(3x) for details).

Since I spent time on it, I thought I'd best pass this on
to the newsgroup and (hopefully) save someone else the
time.

Under Ultrix 2.x (and under 4.2 BSD and 4.3 BSD),
the ruserok() routine returns as follows:

	A 0 is returned if the machine name is listed in the
	"hosts.equiv" file, or the host and remote user name
	are found in the ".rhosts" file.  Otherwise ruserok
	returns -1.

Under Ultrix 3.x, the ruserok() returns as follows:

	A 1 is returned if the machine name is listed in the
	"hosts.equiv" file, or the host and remote user name
	are found in the ".rhosts" file.  Otherwise ruserok
	returns -1.

Yes, kids, they changed it from 0 (zero) to 1 (one) if everything
is OK.

Anyway, I found this very rude!

    -Roger      (rogers at dadla.wr.tek.com)
		UUCP:	...!uunet!tektronix!dadla.wr.tek.com!rogers
		ARPA:	<@RELAY.CS.NET:rogers at dadla.wr.tek.com>