Increasing number of users in Ultrix 1.2

Chuck Karish karish at forel.stanford.edu
Thu Nov 16 01:27:09 AEST 1989

In article <479 at shodha.dec.com> alan at shodha.dec.com
( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) wrote:
>In article <1638 at dukeac.UUCP>, klg at dukeac.UUCP (Kim Greer) writes:
>>   We have a microvax II gpx running Ultrix 1.2.

>> Wtihout
>> springing for the cost of new tapes, is there a simple way to change
>> the number of allowed users without violating licensing agreements ?

>	I don't remember exactly, but I think V1.2 had the login
>	limit hardcoded into machdep.o.

This is correct.  There's no need to buy new distribution media; you
only need one file.

>	Since the current
>	version is now V3.1, get the right machdep.o will probably
>	be next to impossible.  Even harder if you want to be
>	legal about it.

What's the big deal?  Pay the license fee, and anyone reading this
group who has access to a 1.2 system can legally send you their machdep.o
by FTP, UUCP, or US mail.

>	In short; No, I don't be believe there is a *simple* way
>	of changing the user limit.

# cd /usr/sys/BINARY.mvax
# mv machdep.o machdep.o.2usr
# cp /tmp/machdep.o .