Disk Partitioning, ULTRIX

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Tue Nov 28 18:13:12 AEST 1989

In article <2615 at canisius.UUCP> pavlov at canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) writes:
>Where does these [disk partition size] algorithms come from?

Most likely, from the last person to edit the file.

>What is in ULTRIX that penalizes ignoring them ?

Nothing much.  Make sure you leave yourself enough space, but not too
much, and make sure you remember you changed them when you change versions
(especially major versions), and make sure you can handle the mess when
the new version ignores the old (non-default) partition tables....

We always ignore the manufacturer's (DEC's/UCB's/Encore's) `standard'
tables and rearrange things to suit us.  Then again, we also do things
like put control-T in the kernel :-)
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris