Disk Partitioning, ULTRIX

Brian V. Smith envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov
Wed Nov 29 09:05:05 AEST 1989

In article <5001 at buengc.BU.EDU>, bph at buengc.BU.EDU (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
< In article <2615 at canisius.UUCP> pavlov at canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) writes:
< >
< >  The disktab file on a DECStation 3100 here includes the following in a
< >  comment at the top of the file:
<
< [...default partitioning strategy deleted...]
<
< > Ok, we pay attention to the "rule" for the 'c' partition.  But none of the
< > rest make any sense to us, at least most of the time.  Where does
these algo-
< > rithms come from ?  What is in ULTRIX that penalizes ignoring them ?
<
< Sounds like some development-policy rule-of-thumb, kindof like the
< 9-to-1 resistance ratio for biasing a class-A common-emitter bipolar
< transistor amplifier stage.  It seems that, since the size of the 'a',
< (root) partition is roughly proportional to the size of the system,
< then the size of the 'b' (default swapping) partition would also be
< roughly proportional to the size of the 'a' partition.
<

Seems to me like you should set the size of the swap partition to
whatever you need in virtual memory.

Except to make sure that you have enough space in the g partition for /usr,
it seems kind of silly to restrict swap space or waste disk space by having
more than one needs just to follow some rule-of-thumb for sizing.