DS3100: restriction on no. of TTYs per LAT service

Neil Gorsuch neil at cpd.com
Sat Nov 25 12:58:14 AEST 1989

In article <1152 at cernvax.UUCP> jmg at cernvax.UUCP (john gerard) writes:
>We are trying to run a LAT service through a DS3100 on a lot of ttys.
>We have configured 64 ttys with MAKEDEV, and we use ttys from tty04
>for a lat/telnet service (actually a lat/tn3270 service). So far, so good.
>If we configure too many of these ttys in the /etc/ttys file then at
>some time the system goes bananas. Shells get continuously created and
>destroyed (the lat/telnet service program calls in a shell script),
>zombies abound, the CPU is 100% busy etc. etc.
>I recall that some time ago someone talked about limitations on the number
>of ttys per each multiple LAT service.

If the problem is something in the LAT software, a possible solution
is to use our SCSI serial/parallel servers.  From what I have been
told of LATs (we don't have any to compare against), they have higher
performance.  And they certainly cost a lot less than LATs and relieve
a lot of ethernet load.  Plus you get a Centronics parallel port for
each 8 serial ports.

--
Neil Gorsuch        INTERNET: neil at cpd.com          UUCP: uunet!zardoz!neil
MAIL: 1209 E. Warner, Santa Ana, CA, USA, 92705     PHONE: +1 714 546 1100