Determining machine architecture and ULTRIX version

Ram Rao ram at psalm8.ZK3.DEC.COM
Thu Oct 26 00:03:52 AEST 1989

> In a similar vein, I would also like to determine the version of ULTRIX
> that is running, and the version of DECWindows (or UWS) programmatically,
> (bourne shell script).
>
> I have tried things like the following:
>
>    strings /vmunix |grep Ultrix        which yields the following line:
>
>     Ultrix Worksystem V2.0 (Rev. 7) System #1: Tue Mar 21 20:01:54 MST 1989
>
> Unfortunately, this only tells me the version of Workstation software
> (DECwindows), and not the version of ULTRIX.

You bring up a valid concern.  It is not easy for an ULTRIX customer
today to figure out what version of the basesystem is running on a
workstation.  This concern will likely be addressed in an upcoming
release.  In the interim, here is how I map UWS (ULTRIX workstation
software) versions to ULTRIX base-system versions:

	UWS Version	Inferred ULTRIX version
	    1.1			2.2
	    1.2			2.3
	    2.0			3.0
	    2.1			3.1

While I believe the above to be accurate, any errors are mine and
not my employer's.  (standard disclaimer)

Ram Rao
ULTRIX Engineering
Digital Equipment Corporation