yp problem

Roger B.A. Klorese rogerk at mips.COM
Fri Oct 27 05:03:31 AEST 1989

In article <13163 at boulder.Colorado.EDU> grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu writes:

>This brings up a good point; just as there is an /etc/svcorder that
>applies to the hosts table, it would be nice if there was an ordering
>spec to apply to e.g., services, etc. Perhaps /etc/svcorder should be
>extended (and cached to avoid reparsing all the file) to something
>like:
>
>svcorder
>---------
>hosts		local bind yp
>services	local
>protocols 	yp
>group	 	local
>passwd	 	yp

It's very doable: in fact, our next release of RISC/os for MIPS RISComputers
and RISCstations uses a similar file called vis.conf (Virtual Information
Service).  It allows specifications for hosts, services, protocols, group,
netgroup, and passwd, including search paths for "dns" (domain name server),
"file" and "yp".