Partitioning a disk

Ravindran Ramachandran rr at csuna.cs.uh.edu
Fri Oct 20 07:27:14 AEST 1989

   First, let me apologize for the dual posting of my previous
article. Something went wrong, and the News program refuses to
let my cancel the article, saying that I'm not the owner.

   Now, for my query. I want to partition my RZ55, which right
now has the default 'a' and 'g' partitions as '/' and '/usr'.
Now, I want to create a new partition '/users' as the 'f'
partition. The SUN computers have a program called format that
lets you choose the values in terms of head, track and sector.
I wish that (or perhaps am ignorant that) such a program exists
for the DS3100s. BTW, why are they called pmax? My real couple
of questions follow:

(1) Is there any method in the madness of the values for the
    default partition?

(2) Is there any minimum value (or any minimum value of which
    it should be a product) for the size of a partition?

    Basically, from where, and of what sizes can my partition
    be so that I make the best use of the disk layout?

Thanks everybody for the ton of information that I usually get
back; helps me see things from various perspectives,

  Regards,
    --Ravi-