Bug in DECstation Ultrix 3.1 NFS locking?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Thu Oct 5 11:35:48 AEST 1989

In article <9001 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> riley at tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) writes:
> In article <8076 at cbmvax.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> >In article <3196 at rti.UUCP> trt at rti.UUCP (Thomas Truscott) writes:
> >> We have been trying like crazy to get "lockf" to work
> >> correctly under DECstation Ultrix3.1, to no avail.
>
> >RESTRICTIONS
> >     File region locking is not supported over NFS.
vs.
>      File region locking is supported over NFS, if the NFS lock-
>      ing service has been enabled.
>
> Seems a bit contradictory, doesn't it.  Have you used nfssetlock to enable
> NFS locking service?  (Apologies if this is too obvious--I'm still a novice
> at managing Ultrix systems.)

Oops, sorry.  I knew there was some reason I was going to run catman (pain)
after doing the 3.1 upgrade.  It appears that NFS locking arrived with 3.1.

It seems that you need both an appropriate complement of daemons and to
run this enable program.  I'd consult the man pages for lockf and all
what's crossreferenced thereto and perhaps the 3.0 -> 3.1 upgrade notes.
If you've attended to all these details and still have a problem...

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net