Problems with a uVAX II/gpx

Jeff Anderson jeff at ms.uky.edu
Fri Oct 13 02:02:26 AEST 1989

Hi.  We have a MicroVax II/GPX running Ultrix V3.0.  This system has two
disk drives (drive 0 = rd53, drive 1 = rd54).  The problem is that about
once every two weeks, the system hangs.  Here is a description from the
person having the problem:

"                              ....  I get the "Force Error Modifier Set:
LBN xxxxx" message occasionally, where xxxxx is some number which changes.
I also get message "pid xxx was killed on swap error".  Apparently these two
messages come as a pair.   After getting several of these messages, some of
the window programs do not work, xterm does not work, or xterm does not
create a window at all or the system does not respond to keyboard, etc.
Usually the last recourse is to shutdown the system and reboot.   What happens
is that the system won't boot complaining root file system corruption, etc so
that you are forced to rebuild the root file system from a dump tape.
This has been happening about once in every other week. "

These messages are appearing on the console.  I believe that he uses both
DECwindows and a few X windows programs at the same time.  Could these
problems be related to that?

So, has anybody seen something like this before?  Is the problem software
or hardware?  I would appreciate any help in finding out just what the
problem is.  Thanks,

Jeff Anderson				Internet: jeff at engr.uky.edu
Dept. of Electrical Engineering		          jeff at ms.uky.edu
University of Kentucky   		UUCP: {rutgers | uunet}!ukma!ukecc!jeff
Lexington, KY 40506			BITNET:  jeff at UKMA.BITNET