compile times...

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at cs.AthabascaU.CA
Tue Oct 10 08:47:48 AEST 1989

In article <4152 at itivax.iti.org> scs at itivax.iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
>Seriously, I/O bandwidth is what separates mainframes from workstations
>from minis.  Compilation is I/O intensive, particularly if your compiler
>drives your 3100 into heavy swapping or paging.  Retime those compilation
>tests and look at system times vs. wall clock time.  I think you'll see
>some telling numbers.

Umm ... we just finished running some tests between a Sun 4/60 and a
Sun 4/370. The NFS throughput between these machines (4/370 as server)
was faster than our 785 gets to its LOCAL disks! (Ultrix 2.3 and RA81's).

Of course my argument is predicated on the 785 being considered
a mainframe :-) [ And the 4/60 not being considered one ... ]

--
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
  {alberta,decwrl,lsuc}!atha!lyndon || lyndon at cs.AthabascaU.CA