DECnet and TCP/IP between Ultrices

Hurf Sheldon hurf at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Thu Oct 19 03:46:00 AEST 1989

In article <2774 at decuac.DEC.COM> avolio at decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:

>Did you follow proper/normal procedures in starting things up after
>installing DECnet?  You might want to post/mail things like
>how things are started up in your rc.local, etc.  We have tons of
>machines who do both tcp/ip and decnet and have no problems.  Course,
>you're 8200's code is a bit out of date...
>
>Make sure that decnet is started before tcp/ip in your rc.local.  Does
>telnet, rcp, tlogin, et al. work in either direction?  How about
>removing the arp info from both sides on each other and  trying.  How
>about explicitly turning headers off of both.

What isn't made clear here is that Decnet aliases the hardware ethernet
address of your interface so if you 'arp -a' from your tcpip system
you should see what looks like a bogus hardware address for the system
running Ultrix-Decnet.
-more like 'aa:0:4:0:4:dc' instead of '8:0:2b:7:64:de'. The 'aa' is a
tipoff as all DEC systems start with 8:0:2b - if you see the real hardware
address do an 'arp -d targetname' to get
the decnet aliased address in the arp table. (by deleting the earlier one)

In your /etc/rc.local start up decnet and sleep or do something else
for a few seconds before starting 'ifconfig' so ifconfig picks up the
aliased address. (Why is this, Fred? - not complaining a bit - just
curious - the Ultrix Decnet is so nice to have)

hurf
     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf at ionvax.tn.cornell.edu
     Lab of Plasma Studies		  Bitnet: hurf at CRNLION
     369 Upson Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853  ph:607 255 7267
  I got a job in science; I bought a Porsche; Now, everyone takes me seriously.