newcsh is tcsh? [was Re: csh echo problem with backquotes]

John Baugh jwb at lindenthal.cae.ri.cmu.edu
Sat Oct 28 09:09:12 AEST 1989

In article <8318 at cbmvax.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>release or use the /usr/new/csh (aka tcsh) which hasn't been improved in

/usr/new/csh is tcsh?  I'm using it but it doesn't seem to behave
like tcsh.  For example, emacs line editing works only when I do
an ESC to retrieve the previous command.  Otherwise (when I'm just
typing in a new command), none of the emacs bindings (e.g., ^A, ^E, ...)
work at all.  What am I doing wrong?  I have 'setenv CSHEDIT emacs'
in my .login.

John 'desperately seeking emacs command line editing' Baugh

Note: maybe I don't understand tcsh.  I've been using CMU's csh for
the last couple of years, and was under the impression that they
are similar.