Determining machine architecture and ULTRIX version

Chuck Karish karish at forel.stanford.edu
Tue Oct 24 14:35:57 AEST 1989

In article <253 at pvi.UUCP> davidk at .com() wrote:
>Are there any reliable methods for determining the architecture of a
>machine running ULTRIX from a bourne shell script?

>In a similar vein, I would also like to determine the version of ULTRIX
>that is running, and the version of DECWindows (or UWS) programmatically,
>(bourne shell script).

The uname() system call returns a structure that contains information
that will be useful to you.  Write a little C program that calls
uname() and prints out the data, or wait until DEC ships the POSIX
1003.2 uname utility.  Uname comes from System V, so a shell script
that calls it is already portable to much of the UNIX world.

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	(415) 493-9000		karish at forel.stanford.edu