Problem with DECterm under ULTRIX 3.1

Matt Thomas thomas at mipsbx.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Oct 6 11:47:47 AEST 1989

>         Has anyone out there in Netland seen the following problem under
> ULTRIX 3.1 running DECWindows?  It seems like when you use your
DECterm window
> under ULTRIX 3.1 as a VT300+ type terminal to DLOGIN into a VMS machine and
> use EDIT/TPU there, that EDIT/TPU and the terminal window are not
communicating
> correctly.  Also, the PF keys seem to not behave right.  Has anyone else seen
> this behavior from there machines?  Any fixes known?  Some of our users use
> both ULTRIX and VMS and want the full VT300+ functionality.  I already have

Do a dlogin node -e# (or some othe character besides ~).  Why not ~?  Because
way on the past of dlogin (probably for rlogin compatibility sake) it was
decided that ~ is the default escape character.  Now what does that have
do with
the above?  Because the Fn keys end their escape sequences with ~ and so dlogin
patiently waits for the next character (to see if you wanted to escape) before
allowing the ~ to pass.

Also make sure that you run in 7-bit controls mode, dlogin does not
handle 8-bit
escape sequences.

Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas at decwrl.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas
Digital Equipment Corporation   Disclaimer: This message reflects my own
Littleton, MA                               warped views, etc.