Problems with a uVAX II/gpx

Hurf Sheldon hurf at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Thu Oct 19 03:07:52 AEST 1989

	My experience has been that rd53 drives on rqdx3's get
	'bitrot' every so often and start having errors as you
	mention. Going thru the numbers of whatever the current
	version supports to correct this has never been successful.
	Once the disk starts, they happen more and more frequently.
	The only sure cure we have found is reformatting. If you have
	a vs2000 you can reformat for an rqdx3 with out Dec's
	proprietary formatter or, if you have Dec support on your
	system they can format your drive for you or get you their
	'customer' diag set which has the formatter on it...
	DEC knows this as they refuse to replace an rd53 under
	service without first reformatting the drive and testing
	it. (Hours of system down time when they could just plug
	in a reformatted one and go home and play with it... You are
	stuck with a full restore in any case) BTW -the service guys
	don't have the freedom to make this decision so it is their
	time that gets hosed, too.
	You can probably sell your controller and drives for more
	than half the cost of a new 320mb maxtor and dilog controller...

	hurf
     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf at ionvax.tn.cornell.edu
     Lab of Plasma Studies		  Bitnet: hurf at CRNLION
     369 Upson Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853  ph:607 255 7267
  I got a job in science; I bought a Porsche; Now, everyone takes me seriously.