Bug in DECstation Ultrix 3.1 NFS locking?

Thomas Truscott trt at rti.UUCP
Tue Oct 3 01:24:51 AEST 1989

We have been trying like crazy to get "lockf" to work
correctly under DECstation Ultrix3.1, to no avail.

Repeat By:
	From one DECstation, "cd" to an NFS-mounted directory
	on another DECstation (or Sparcstation), "touch foo",
	and run the following program:

	#include <unistd.h>
	main()
	{
		int fd, rc;

		fd = open("foo", 2);
		printf("locking file ...\n");
		rc = lockf(fd, F_LOCK, 0);
		printf("lock => %d\n", rc);
		close(fd);
		printf("exiting\n");
		exit(0);
	}

	The lockf() and close() calls pause for 5 seconds each.
	(The lockf reports success, but it can be verified
	that the file is locked only on the local system.)

Help!  Is this a known bug or a configuration problem or what?
We need to know ASAP.  Post a reply or send EMAIL,
but also please call me (collect).
	Tom Truscott, trt at rti.rti.org, uunet!mcnc!rti!trt
	(919) 541-7005