Preen with NFS?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Mon Sep 4 07:45:14 AEST 1989

In article <89Sep3.144349edt.2288 at neat.cs.toronto.edu> lamy at ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) writes:
> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>
> >I'm not familiar with this preen program, but I owuld point out that DEC has
> >improved the "fsck -p" option so that it doesn't bother with filesystems
> >that are "clean" or haven't been modified since last unmounted.  This lets
> >you do a planned shutdown/startup quickly, though after a crash, it's still
> >going to take a while...
>
> Hardly an improvement.  I've seen machines do perfectly orderly shutdowns, yet
> fsck -p discover some inconsistencies after reboot.  I've seen two or three
> successive fscks on the same unmounted file system fix inconsistencies before
> the file system fsck-ed cleanly twice in a row.  We tend to view "guessing"
> schemes rather dimly around here...

All depends on your local degree of flakeyness, I guess.  Experience here
with Ultrix seems to indicate that if you shutdown the system and unmount
the filesystems, it'll fsck cleanly.  It's still a good idea to force fsck
to do it's job once in a while, especially if the system's been up for a
couple of months.  Haven't had that kind of luck lately, and it tends to
check almost everything writable when rebooting after a crash.

I didn't too much mind doing fsck's everytime before, but when you start
playing with G-byte class drives, it does get kind of tedious.

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net