su hanging

Rick L Spickelmier ricks at shambhala.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Sep 27 02:10:52 AEST 1989

Occasionally on my DECstation 3100 (actually far too frequently),
running UWS 2.1, 'su' will hang in 'D' after taking the password.
It will eventually come back (after many minutes) or as soon as I
do another 'su'.  I also find that when I have 'su's behaving like
this, certain other commands behave this way: xterm, mail, ...

Has anybody else since this problem?  Why does a second 'su' cause
the first to get unstuck?  Should I just trash the / and /usr file
systems, reformat and reload?  This is really bugging me.

				Rick Spickelmier
				UC Berkeley