Ethernet support for Ultrix 1.2

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Fri Sep 1 15:06:40 AEST 1989

In article <671 at UALTAVM.BITNET> DKRUGER at UALTAVM.BITNET writes:
> I would like to install an Ethernet card in our MicroVAX II.  However,
> according to our DEC saleman, ethernet is not supported in Ultrix 1.2.
> Is there a public domain version of the ethernet drivers, kernel changes,
> etc. which I could use with Ultrix 1.2 and a DEQNA-M ethernet card?

As of Ultrix 1.2:

Ethernet *was* supported.
TCP/IP *was* supported.
NFS wasn't there.
LAT was there, but may not have been "supported".
DECnet *was* supported, with DECnet/Ultrix.

I'm not 100% sure about DEQNA support, since the original 1.2 SPD doesn't
mention any MicroVAX support, but it was most likely supported.  See if
you have a /sys/BINARY.vax/if_qe.o.  If so, you've got it.

Please give serious consideration to a 1.2 -> 3.x upgrade.  *NONE* of 1.2
is "supported" and you'll have difficulty resolving any problems you
run across.

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net